A lymph detox or cleanse is probably one of the best things you can do for your body second only to a bowel cleanse. The hidden power of the lymph system is widely overlooked and neglected.
If you suffer from frequent infections, have sinusitis, prostatitis, adult allergies, swollen nodes, are under chronic stress, have chronic tiredness, showing signs of cellulite, are overweight, then you will probably benefit from a lymph cleanse or detox.
The lymph system is a network of tubes and organs that takes waste products away from the cells and carries nutrients to them. It acts as a transport and filter system that includes the lymph nodes, the bone marrow, tonsils, appendix, spleen, thymus gland, and areas in the bowel called Peyer’s patches. It produces the cells of your immune system which circulate around your body in the lymph fluid. It works as a filter, removing bacteria, micro-organisms and dead cells. So you can see why a lymph detox is important to overcome illness and boost your immune system.
The circulation of the 6 – 10 liters of fluid within the lymph system has no pump like the heart and depends on muscle movement and breathing. This is why exercise and deep breathing are so important. The lymph fluid can become thickened and clogged up with toxins if we don’t drink enough fluid or exercise to keep it moving. There are various other ways to help stimulate the lymph such as skin brushing and contrast showers that I have talked about in previous posts.
Massage of course helps too. Some therapists have trained in a special technique called lymph drainage massage. Manual Lymph Drainage (MLD) is often used following mastectomy for breast cancer if some of lymph nodes have been removed as the person develops a swollen arm. Some also employ the use of a light beam generator which is reputed to stimulate lymph detox.
Rebounders (mini trampolines) are also a popular way to reduce lymph congestion. This is a good way to exercize at home when you have not got time to get to the gym or go for a run.
Vegetable or fruit juices, pure water, and potassium rich foods such as sea vegetables, green vegetables and the spices cayenne pepper, ginger and horseradish all help to cleanse the lymph.
Here is a Lymph Detox plan
- Prepare for a 3 day juice fast with a short cleansing diet. Eat nothing but raw fruit and vegetables for 2 -3 days. Avoid citrus fruits and juices unless you are experienced with cleansing as they may aggravate certain conditions. Bananas are too starchy for cleansing so should be avoided.
- Make sure your bowels are moving well and keep them
moving throughout by taking a handful of linseeds with
a large glass of water every morning.
Begin the 3 day juice fast.
- Start the day with a glass of warm water with the juice of half a lemon. Sweeten with a little Stevia if you like.
- Have a breakfast juice of carrots, celery, parsley and 1 clove of garlic. Add 1 a scoop of your favorite Green Food.
- Continue to drink freshly made juices throughout the day. Aim to have 6 – 8 x 8 oz juices. The vegetables that are recommended for juicing are carrot, celery, cabbage, red beets and green leaves such as romaine lettuce, chard, spinach, watercress and parsley.
- You can sweeten green juices with some green apple juice. Generally it is not good to mix fruit and vegetable juice apart from apple which is often added to green juices or carrot juice.
- You can use any fruit except bananas. Berries are good but take care with citrus juices as they are more aggressive cleansers than vegetables
- Drink water, dandelion, peppermint or camomile tea or potassium broth in between juices.. The frequent juices should keep your blood sugar stable and prevent hunger.
- Take Lymph Rejuvenator three times a day 30 – 60 minutes before a meal or juice. The Lymph Rejuvenator contains herbs that help to drain and transport lymph fluids while assisting in the removal of toxins, tissue wastes, and cellular debris leading to overall improved health.
Breaking the juice fast
- To break the juice fast go back to the preparation phase for several days and gradually introduce healthy food. Start with some raw fruit or vegetable soup. You can have the potassium broth with the vegetables this time. A plate of steamed vegetables would be good too. Whatever you do don’t overdo it and eat heavy meals as your digestion will very likely rebel.
This lymph detox can be useful to kick-start weight loss if you have reached a plateau.
Find out lots more about detox and cleansing in my brand new eBook 9 Simple Steps To Slenderness.