When we talk about detox, we often include the words liver, cleansing, and a bunch of vegetables inside a blender. And oh, the more than the usual trip to the restroom is in there somewhere too. But did you know you can actually help rehabilitate your eyes through detoxing?
We kid you not, experts are now looking into fixing your eyes by way of optimizing liver health and this article will tell you all about it. They even say eye problems can be an indicator of an unhealthy liver.
The Liver-Eye Connection
Science class taught us the liver functions as the body’s top filtration organ. Everything you eat, healthy or not, passes through the liver and the liver attempts to break them all down and prepare them for excretion. Needless to say, the better your liver is at doing its job, which is to detoxify, the fewer toxins you will have in your body.
Likewise, if your liver health is compromised, your body will not only have an inefficient toxin filter but it will also affect nutrient absorption and distribution around your bloodstream. The damage can cause free radical damage and wear and tear to your organs and tissues.
When it comes to the eyes, the delicate retina and macula aren’t really the most protected against free radical damage. What happens is free radicals attack the retina and result in the breakdown of healthy tissue. When these are damaged, it can have a devastating effect on vision.
What You Can Do For Your Liver & Eyes
A lot of times those with a bad liver have no idea they have a problem in the first place. Not because they don’t go to the doctor but because the symptoms of an unhealthy liver often go unnoticed or are shrugged on. However, eye conditions or eye discomfort can be a helpful early warning sign that you need to pay attention to your liver.
So perhaps it’s time you get your liver some help! Here are some of the ways you can help your liver to also help your eyes get back to their optimized form.
- Eat raw vegetables and juice regularly. This is actually pretty common sense but eating vegetables in their most raw form allow your body to absorb more nutrient than when you cook them. If you’re no fan of chewing leaves, juicing or blending is the best option.
- Cut smoking, sugar, junk food, and too much alcohol out of your life. Apart from actually reducing your risk for a whole roster of diseases, cutting these toxins out of your system helps your liver optimize its function when it comes to cleansing. These things all damage or burden your liver in one way or another so avoiding them altogether will make detoxification easier and more efficient.
- Drink green tea regularly. Green tea contains powerful antioxidants and it helps to reduce the risk of developing a fatty liver.
- Supplement with Selenium. Selenium is a primary component of glutathione, the body’s own antioxidant. More glutathione means better detoxification. Improved detoxification reduces the amount of toxins circulating in the bloodstream.
- Prevent eye diseases by using eye supplements. Once your eyes are back into good shape, it’s time you make sure they don’t suffer from diseases again. Supplements such as Norflo help treat inflammation of the eyes which result to diseases like uveitis, macular edema, and central serous chorioretinopathy.
Taking care of your eyes doesn’t always mean caring for the eyes themselves. A lot of times, we can help protect our body from diseases by making sure our liver is at its healthiest. A healthy liver can easily mean a healthy body more so a healthy pair of eyes.
Guest post by Ashley Spiker, EyePharma Health & Wellness Contributor
EyePharma is based on research, prevention and nutrition. Our formulas are developed from natural extracts clinically studied and tested through ten years of ophthalmologic research. We’re committed to scientific studies testing with excellent raw materials bringing you the best nutritional supplements.