Toxic pollutants are all around us. They get into your body from food, water, air and products you put on your body. Mounting evidence shows they accumulate in your body and cause many health problems. Minimizing exposure and improving detox is an important step to improving your
health. Here are some Detox tips to help you improve detox.
- Reducing the chemical load on your body will give it a chance to detoxify some of the backlog.
- Eat organic food as much as possible to reduce exposure to herbicides, pesticides, fungicides antibiotics and hormones that are used in conventional farming.
- Drink filtered water .
- Avoid household products and cosmetics that contain toxic chemicals . There is a wide variety of natural and organic products to choose from these days.
- Avoid toxic metals. Eat only low mercury fish. Don’t cook in aluminum pans. Avoid cigarette smoke. Avoid handling lead.
- Use household plants to help purify the air or consider an air filter.
Bamboo Palm, English Ivy, Gerbera Daisy, Mother-in-Law’s Tongue, Peace Lily are among those that can help.
- Eat a diet high in fruit and vegetables for the nutrients that can improve detox.
- Include cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, watercress. They are rich in antioxidants and substances that can enhance Phase 2 detox.
- Onions, garlic and leeks also contain compounds that can enhance Phase 2 detox pathways.
- Increase fiber rich food such as whole grains, vegetables and fruit. It helps top keep your bowels regular so toxins that have been eliminated in the bile are no reabsorbed. Fiber is thought to bind to toxins in the gut and help remove them.
- Add herbs and spices to your food especially turmeric, rosemary, dill, and caraway as they can help push the liver detox pathways.
- Green tea has been shown to improve detox in animal studies. 3 cups of green tea a day can reduce cancer risks in humans according to studies.
- Use seaweed in cooking. Seaweeds such as Kombu, Hiziki, and Wakame can speed up excretion of dioxins. Researchers found that chlorella can lower dioxins in pregnant women. Both cord blood and breast milk were lower reducing the transfer if this harmful chemical to the baby.Make sure you get seaweed that is pure as it can be contaminated with pollutants from the sea.
- Drink 6 – 8 glasses of pure water a day to help elimination through the kidneys
Researchers have established that exercise can boost the detox system. At least 20 minutes of aerobic exercise 3 to 5 times a week is ideal. Don’t forget to shower off afterwards to prevent toxins being reabsorbed.
Far Infrared Sauna Treatment
Regular saunas and steam baths can help with the elimination of toxins but if you are very toxic you may not be able to tolerate them. The effect is to warm up the whole body and chemicals that are mobilized from the fat cells get into the blood stream and can cause acute poisoning.
Far Infrared Saunas (FIR) operate at 60 to 80 degrees lower and will help eliminate toxins from the fat layers just under the skin through the sweat. This method prevents them being released into the blood. Detox with FIR may be 7 – 10 times more effective than conventional sauna.
According to research by Dr Sarah Myhill, CFS expert, the toxins are excreted in the first few minutes of sweating in the FIR so you don’t have to stay in hours to get a result! Minerals are lost in the sweat as well so it’s
important to replace them.
Nutritional supplements that support liver detox pathways can help improve detox and reduce symptoms related to slow liver detox. BodyHealth Complete + Detox contains ingredients that help and support liver detoxification as well as a complete range of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
Silymarin the active ingredient of the herb Milk Thistle can help support liver detoxification at a dose of 200 – 400 mg a day.
Although toxic pollutants will remain in the environment for generations to come there is evidence that you can minimize their effects with diet and lifestyle changes that reduce exposure and increase detox and elimination.
If you have any serious medical condition it will only help if you follow these detox tips but if you want to do any intensive detox you should be guided by a doctor or practitioner who understands and experienced in detox.