A herbal liver detox consists of following a specific diet high in fresh fruit and vegetables that eliminates foods that tax the liver and bowel. It incorporates foods that contain nutrients that support liver detoxification together with a herbal supplement containing herbs that stimulate bile flow and help rejuvenate liver cells .
The herbs usually used to support liver detox are:
- Milk Thistle (Silymarin) – helps stimulate glutathione production, is an antioxidant and helps with liver cell regeneration.
- Dandelion Root (Taraxacum officinale) – Increases bile flow.
- Schisandra (Schisandra chinensis)- A Chinese herb used for liver protection. It may help to lower liver enzyme levels and improve the symptoms of chronic viral hepatitis.
- Bupleurum – A Chinese herb that helps to neutralize liver toxins.
- Globe Artichoke (Cynara ) – Increase the production of bile from the liver and the flow of bile from the gallbladder, and to increases the contractive power of the bile duct.
- Turmeric (Curcuma longa) – Helps to protect the liver against damage stimulating bile flow and supports liver detoxification.
- Burdock (Arctium lappa) – A powerful antioxidant and a blood purifier. Can help to restore liver and gallbladder function.
- Chinese Wormwood – increases bile production and flow while increasing liver cell regeneration.
Liver Detox Diet .
The diet should exclude the foods that tax the liver:
- Artificial flavors, flavorings and preservative
- Trans fats and hydrogenated fats in many processed foods
- Oils heated to high temperatures
- BBQ or burnt foods
- Rancid or old nuts and seeds
- Fatty preserved foods like sausages, bacon, salami, mortadella
- Excess saturated fats in fatty meats, milk, ice-cream, cheese
Include plenty of fruit and vegetables that support liver detox as well as specific foods that help promote liver detox:
- Cabbage, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, kale, cress, watercress, turnips, rutabaga (swede), kohlrabi.
- Asparagus, avocado, walnuts.
- High protein foods such as meat, fish and eggs or beans, lentils and grains. Buy organic or free range meat to avoid more chemicals.
- Fish oils (make sure they are free from sea pollutants).
- Oranges and tangerines (but not grapefruit).
- Caraway and dill seeds.
- Red beets
Treating your liver well will have a huge impact on your health and longevity. To learn more about detox for health get my Free Report all about Detox at The Detox Specialist