It is known that if you have mercury fillings or eat a lot of fish the level of mercury in your body will increase with age. Mercury is a very powerful neurotoxin – a substance that causes damage to a nerve cell or nerve tissue. So, in this article we will look at ways to use food for the natural detox of mercury from your body.
Although life expectancy has increased over the past 50 years, the quality of life is not always good. Mental decline is now considered to be the norm when we age.
Is mercury to blame for mental decline?
Numerous studies have identified that symptoms of mercury toxicity can include mental confusion, short term memory loss, brain fog, depression, anxiety, disorders of speech, and neuro degenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s .
It is perfectly reasonable to conclude that mental decline could be related to mercury toxicity. Mercury has an affinity for brain tissue and is implicated in brain tumors and dementia
We are exposed to many toxins on a daily basis that get into our bodies and interfere with our health. Mercury and lead just add to the burden.
Food is medicine and can be used as a natural detox of mercury. Here is a guide that will help you reduce the levels of mercury in your body and reduce your intake of it.
To help boost the liver detox pathways that remove mercury:
1. Eat at least 5 portions of fruit and vegetables every day. Eat a variety of colors to increase your range of of antioxidants.
2. Choose plenty of cuciferous vegetables such as broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, kale, turnip and swede. They increase the activity of the Phase II detox system that detoxifies mercury.
3. Eat onions and garlic regularly. They contain compounds of sulfur which help to increase the sulfation detox pathway in the liver.
4. Eat plenty of seeds and nuts as they are rich in selenium which binds mercury and inactivates it,
5. Eat plenty of foods that contain soluble fiber – whole grains, flax seeds. Fiber binds toxins and helps to take them out of the body.
6. Use liberal amounts of cilantro (fresh coriander) to your food as it helps to detox mercury.
7. Avoid refined sugars which may drive mercury into cells. Eat fresh fruit instead.
8. Drink plenty of pure water and green tea.
Reduce the load on your liver to allow detoxification of mercury:
1. Avoid products containing hydrogenated and trans fats. Found in some margarines, cookies (biscuits), baked goods, snacks, fries (chips), fried food. Reduce intake of saturated fat in sausages, burgers, fatty meat.
Eat more good fats from olive oil, hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, avocados.
2. Avoid foods that contain artificial colors, flavors and preservatives.
3. Avoid drinking a lot of coffee.
4. Drink less alcohol. It inhibits the detox pathways.
5. Stop smoking and avoid smoky places.
6. Avoid polluted areas as much as possible
To reduce your intake of mercury:
1 Eat organic produce where ever possible.
2. Avoid eating high mercury fish such as tuna, swordfish, tilefish. Herrings and sardines probably contain the least.
Check for mercury in fish at www.gotmercury.org
Some people are better detoxifiers of mercury than others and if you do not have good detox capacity for mercury then you may need to add some supplements that help remove mercury.
HMD (Heavy Metal Detox) is 100 % natural and is the world’s most scientifically tested heavy metal detox supplement.
See these posts for more information about how to detox mercury:
You can also watch the smoking teeth video on that page!