When famous celebrities like Madonna and Jennifer Aniston endorse something, expect that it’d be a big hit. Colonic hydrotherapy has once again surged in popularity after these Hollywood A-listers share with their adoring fans that they make use of this treatment to improve their health. But it has actually been around since the time of Princess Diana, who was also known to have weekly treatments.
Today, Americans spend anywhere from $50 to $175 on this type of colon cleanse in hopes to remove toxins from the body, and improve overall health, according to the Medical Daily. Proponents constantly boast about its “amazing benefits” for the health. But some people question not only its efficacy but also its safety. Does it really work? And if it does, is it safe and risk-free?
Let’s get to the bottom of it.
What is Colonic Hydrotherapy?
A preparatory step that’s generally done prior to colonoscopy and other similar medical procedures, colonic hydrotherapy or colon irrigation cleanses the colon, working in a similar way as an enema but without the foul odor and uncomfortable feeling.
During a colon irrigation, you will be asked to lie on a table. A small tube will then be inserted into your rectum. The tube is attached to a pump or reservoir, which will then flush gallons of water into your rectum and colon. Once your colon is filled with water, the medical practitioner will massage your abdomen gently. Soon, you will release the water the same way you release wastes. A session may last up to one hour. Some practitioners add probiotics, herbs, enzymes or even coffee to the water.
Colonic Irrigation: Not Necessary
Mayo Clinic explains that colonic irrigation or hydrotherapy for purposes of detoxification is not necessary because the digestive system already does a fantastic job eliminating toxins, wastes and bacteria from the body. Unless you are suffering from a digestive or endocrine disorder, there’s no need for external help.
Moreover, Mayo Clinic counters the claims that toxins in the gastrointestinal tract can cause asthma, allergies, arthritis and a host of other medical conditions. Contrary to what proponents say, there’s no evidence that colonic irrigation can strengthen the body’s immune resistance and make it less prone to disease.
Truth is, colonic irrigation can do more harm than good. A study conducted in Georgetown University in Washington D.C., discovered the detrimental side effects of this procedure, causing more diseases in people who undergo it than those who do not.
The findings published in The Journal of Family Practice in 2011 found that colon cleansing can increase risk of dehydration and infection, remove nutrients from the body, and cause bowel perforation.
Side effects included:
• Nausea and vomiting
• Mineral imbalance
Enhance Colon Health Naturally
Keep in mind that it’s what goes into your mouth (and not what you insert into your rectum and colon) that has the most significant effect on your health. If you want to detoxify your colon and improve your health, you have to do it the natural way. Also try to reduce alcohol as this also slows down metabolism and prevents proper detoxification.
Here are some of the best natural methods for cleansing the colon:
- Up intake of dietary fiber. Increasing consumption of both soluble and insoluble fiber can help curb a number of gastrointestinal conditions, including constipation and colorectal cancer. Generally, people only consume only 10 to 15 grams of fiber a day but the recommended intake is 20 to 35 grams per day. Whole grains, cereals, oats, bran, fruits and vegetables are the best sources of fiber.
- Drink plenty of water. Drinking 10 to 12 glasses of water a day provides lubrication the body needs to get rid of toxins and wastes. Water also stimulates natural peristaltic action, which helps food move along the digestive system. And of course, water is necessary for keeping the body hydrated.
- Drink fresh apple juice. One of the best natural ways to cleanse the colon is to drink apple juice, which not only promotes regular bowel movement and breaks down harmful toxins but also boosts the health of digestive system and liver. Drink a glass of fresh apple juice in the morning when you wake up. Follow it up with one glass of water. Do this routine for three days.
- Drink lemon juice. With its high concentration of vitamin C and antioxidants, lemon juice is also an efficient way to cleanse the colon and improve digestive health. To use this natural remedy, simply squeeze juice from one lemon and put it into a glass of lukewarm water. Add a pinch of salt and pour honey. Drink on an empty stomach in the morning. Do this everyday for one week.
- Drink raw vegetable juice. Create fresh vegetable juice using carrots, squash, spinach, kale, corn, and beets, among others. Use a blender or juicer for this purpose. Vegetables, as you know, are not only rich in dietary fiber, but are also packed with wonderful vitamins, minerals, enzymes and amino acids. They will work wonders in cleansing your colon.
As always, natural is the better way to go. Instead of undergoing a medical procedure that won’t do you any good, cleanse and detoxify your colon the natural way using the techniques mentioned above.