Candida albicans is one of the major yeast found in the digestive system. It usually lives in harmony with the other organisms that normally inhabit the gut. But modern day life with high stress, high sugar, processed food diets, mineral deficiencies and the use of antibiotics can cause candida to multiply and overgrow causing many diverse symptoms.
A candida detox is an essential part of the treatment to restore balance and harmony to your system.
Doctors have been treating thrush in the mouths of babies and vaginal candida in women for years but it is only since the 1980’s that some doctors have begun to recognize the ability of intestinal candida to get out of control.
When it overgrows it can cause many symptoms such as gas, bloating, diarrhea, constipation, food intolerance, indigestion, heart burn and even fatigue. Fortunately a candida detox can play a big part in eradicating these uncomfortable symptoms.
Many mainstream doctors do not accept that candida can be a problem because there is no reliable standard test that can diagnose it. In some cases where the doctor is more open minded he may prescribe a short course of an antifungal drug but it is only a short term solution and often the problem returns because the underlying causes have not been addressed.
Sufferers turn to Alternative Medicine practitioners who often recommend a candida cleanse as part of a total treatment approach to ensure that candida will not return.
What is a candida detox?
A candida detox consists of a colon detox cleanse to get rid of any old waste matter and toxins that make the bowel unhealthy and discourage the growth of the good bacteria. This normally consists of psyllium husk seed powder, Bentonite clay and caprylic acid.
- Psyllium provides a gentle scrubbing action with the fiber. It bulks up the stool making elimination easier. Use about 1 teaspoon to 8 oz of filtered water for each cleanse.
- Bentonite, in powder or liquid form, attracts toxins and adsorbs them, preventing them getting into the blood stream. It can help prevent die off reactions from the release of candida toxins as it is killed off. Use 1 -2 tablespoons for each drink.
- Liquid caprylic acid, a natural antifungal obtained from coconut oil, is usually added to the cleanse. It is held in the gel formed from the psyllium and water and is dispersed throughout the length of the digestive tract.Add 1 teaspoonful – 1 tablespoon to the psyllium and bentonite mixture and shake up well in a lidded container and drink immediately.
- Garlic is another useful addition because its active substance allicin attacks the surface of the candida cell interfering with its ability to thrive.
- Probiotics are a an essential part of the candida detox to repopulate the bowel with good bacteria that keep the yeast in check. Look for a high potency dairy free, multistrain one.
Candida Detox Diet
A Candida diet is vital part of the treatment. Sugar feeds yeast so is the most important thing to exclude as well as products containing it. In fact, it’s good to avoid all refined carbohydrates such as white flour products. In many cases it is helpful to exclude gluten containing products such as bread, cakes, cookies, and pasta as well.
Some people react to other yeasts so do better excluding yeast products. All meat should be free range or organic to avoid antibiotic and hormone residue that some intensively reared animals contain. The best foods to eat are fresh and natural. Eat plenty of fresh vegetables.
Using a the whole candida detox protocol once or twice a day for 6 – 12 weeks depending on the severity of your problem will help you to overcome candida. Die off symptoms are very much minimized by the psyllium and Bentonite. It is always best to get the advice of a health professional who understands the problem and has a good track record for helping people suffering from candida overgrowth.