Relaxing in the bath can be a great way to de-stress during the holiday season. A detox bath soak is a useful way to get rid of foreign chemicals that have accumulated in your body. Why not have the best of both worlds and relax in a detox bath?
Detoxification baths work because the hot water increases the blood flow near the surface of your skin, opens your pores and increases sweating encouraging the release of toxins. If you are following a detox diet plan during cold weather it’s always a good idea to have frequent hot baths to keep the blood circulating and your body warm.
How to take a Detox Bath Soak
- There are a number of things you can put in the bath to help with detoxification but you can use plain water. Filtered water is best but it can still be effective if you are using tap water. Make sure you have a very clean bath. You want to get rid of toxins and not absorb any. Clean it with a non chemical cleaner.
- Drink an 8 oz glass of pure water before, during and after your bath.
- Shower first, using natural soap and scrub your body with a loofah or rough wash cloth to remove body oils, dead skin cells and surface toxins. Rinse yourself well.
- Fill the bath as high as you can with water as hot as you can tolerate without burning your skin. Get in and immerse your whole body up to your neck.
- If you have very high levels of chemicals in your body a detox bath could make you feel unwell to start with so begin with a 5 minute soak. Gradually increase the time you stay in the bath by 5 minutes each time until you can stay in for 30 minutes. Be aware that it is possible to get some detox reactions the next day.
- While you are in the bath it helps if you can massage your muscles with a skin brush to increase the circulation. Also do some deep breathing to help you relax.
- After the bath you should shower again to get rid of any toxins that have remained on the skin. Wash your hair as well. Finish with cool water to close the pores. If you start to sweat again later you should have another shower in case you have excreted more toxins or they will be reabsorbed.
- Make sure you have someone in the house before you take your bath. Some people feel dizzy or weak when they have a hot bath. A hot bath increases the heart rate while lowering blood pressure but if you have high blood pressure, very low blood pressure or heart disease you should ask your doctor before having hot baths. Do not have very hot baths if you are pregnant or very weak.
- Do not have a hot bath after a heavy meal. It’s best to have a light meal about one hour before the bath. Allow at least an hour afterwards before you eat a meal because your digestion will have slowed down.
- Drink at least 8 x 8oz glasses of filtered water the day after your detox bath as well.
- Try having a detox bath soak 3 times a week.
Preparation Diet for Detox Bath Soak.
If you are going to do these detox bath soaks regularly it helps if you eat a very clean, healthy or detox diet in preparation. A diet high in fruit and vegetables and their juices is good to help flush toxins out. Eat foods high in sulfur such as broccoli, cabbage, Brussels Sprouts, garlic onions and beans to help with liver detox.