When you detox it’s important to keep the wastes moving out of your body and one easy way to do this is with a flaxseed cleanse.
Benefits of Flaxseeds
- Flaxseeds are an excellent source of fiber, plant material that is not broken down by digestion,which is important for a healthy digestion system .
- Fibre gives the intestinal muscles something to get hold of and affects the function of the whole of the gut.
- Flaxseeds contain both soluble and insoluble fiber both of which affects your health and fitness in a number of ways.
- Insoluble fiber adds bulk to the contents of the intestines. That bulk helps to stimulate regular bowel movements and helps to remove the waste that contain the toxins that the liver has processed.
- Soluble fiber absorbs water in the stomach and intestine. It forms a gel that slows digestion and and helps you absorb the nutrients from your food. It can help to make you feel fuller while helping you to eat less. Ideal when you are detoxing to help with weight loss!
- Flaxseeds also contain omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants, minerals, and vitamins and are good to sooth inflammation in the digestive system and for constipation.
- Lignins in flaxseed meal may help to reduce the risk of certain cancers, especially colon cancer and it also possess antimicrobial properties.
- Flaxseed may also help lower total blood cholesterol and “bad” (LDL) cholesterol levels, which may help reduce the risk of heart disease.
How to do a flaxseed cleanse
Make sure you buy organic seeds so they are pesticide and herbicide free.
There are several ways of using flax seeds to cleanse the bowel.
1. Whole flaxseeds
Rinse 1 – 2 tablespoons flaxseeds and place in a cup.
Cover with filtered water or juice and soak overnight.
They will form a sort of gel. Eat both seeds and gel in the morning. (you will either love it ot hate it)
Add a little more water of juice if necessary.
Have this every morning for two weeks or more.
Use whoe flaxseeds when you juice fast to keep the bowels moving.
2. Ground flaxseeds
You may prefer to grind the flaxseeds into a fine powder in a small coffee grinder and add them to yogurt, fruit salad, cereal or your green detox smoothie.
Ideally you should only grind what you need at one time as they go rancid quite quickly. Otherwise only grind a small amount at a time and store in a glass container in the refigerator.
You will get the benefits of the lignans and Omega-3 fatty acids if you grind them before use. Lignans are phytochemicals that have a wide range of health benfits. Flaxseeds contain the highest amount of plant lignans.
The health benefits include protection against cancer, reduced risk of heart disease, improved digestion, and relief of hormonal imbalances.
Tropical Green Smoothie Flaxseed Cleanse
2 cups papaya
½ a small pineapple
3-4 cups spinach
1 – 2 tbsp ground flax seeds ( or flax meal)
Blend the pineapple until smooth
Add mango, papaya, spinach and ground flax and blend until very smooth.
Experiment with different fruit, greens and ratios of fruit to greens to get the taste you like.
3. Bentonite & Flaxseed Cleanse
You can do a colon cleanse by adding one tablespoon of liquid bentonite and one tablespoon of ground flaxseeds to a glass of water first thing in the morning and before bed. It’s best to wait for at least 30 minutes before eating.
Experiment with these flaxseed cleanses to see which one works best for you. Some people do better on whole seeds than the ground ones. Ground flaxseeds are more easily digestible, whole flaxseeds can pass through your digestive system.